Fleet Collective was based on the top floor of the grade A listed Chambers East building of the old Royal Exchange on the corner of Panmure Street.
The old Royal Exchange was designed in the ornate Flemish Neo-Gothic style by the famous architect David Bryce, in order to house the Chamber of Commerce. Bryce’s other notable buildings include Fettes College and the Royal Bank of Scotland on the Mound in Edinburgh.
The building was designed in 1854 and finished in 1855. Its main features are the large reading room with a spectacular hammer and beam roof; the handsome square tower, which was originally designed to be topped with a tall spire; and the beautiful stained glass by Messrs. Hardman & Co., Birmingham, who are best known for their work in the Houses of Parliament.
The old Royal Exchange was altered significantly in the 1950s, when the adjoining market hall was demolished to make way for the new Royal Exchange. The reading room was split into two floors, and some of the stained glass was replaced with plain panels. The upper floor became offices and the roof beams were covered.
The building then accommodated the Dundee Stock Exchange in the 1950s and 1960s, and also remained home to the Dundee Chamber of Commerce until 2007. The building was then sold privately, and is now undergoing a slow process of sympathetic regeneration to restore it to its former glory.